How to launch the PAL tool
1. Ensure that the PAL tool and dependency components have been installed from http://www.codeplex.com/PAL .
2. Click Start, Run, and then PAL. This will launch the PAL wizard interface.
How to create a counter log file using PAL
Follow these steps to create a counter log .htm file once the PAL wizard has been launched. Note: This contains very specific counters instead of the full counter set that perfwiz uses, so you can choose how granular you would like to get.
1. Launch PAL.
2. Click the Threshold File Tab.
5. Save the settings to a .htm file. Follow the steps in the Exchange 2007 Perfwiz replacement steps at http://blogs.technet.com/mikelag/archive/2008/05/02/perfwiz-replacement-for-exchange-2007.aspx starting at step 4 to import this .htm file in to Performance monitor.
Note: This export feature only works on Windows 2003 servers since the ability to import htm files in Windows 2008 has changed. I will post an update on how to do this on Windows 2008 servers at a later time.
How to run the PAL wizard
1. Launch PAL. This will bring you to the Welcome Screen. Click Next
4. Answer any questions that are listed on that page. The answers to these questions are required so that during the processing of each performance file, we consume this information and pass this in to the tool for proper calculations. Click Next once finished.
5. On the Analysis Interval tab, select the interval that you would like to use. Note: The default of AUTO is recommended as that is the best performance option for running the tool. Any changes to this setting could cause the report generation process to be that much slower, but will allow you to get a little more granular if needed.
This is a resource intensive application while these perfmon files are being parsed, so I would recommend using your fastest machine to run these reports on. Once PAL has completed processing the queued items, an IE window will open for each report in the queue.
I hope you have found this information useful and if you should have any questions regarding the tools usage, any possible problems that you may run in to or just suggestions to improve the tool, you can email email@example.com